Immigration FAQ

Let The Law Offices of Jamie H. Gorton Handle Your Concerns

How often are Naturalization ceremonies conducted and where?
The District Court holds around three naturalization ceremonies each month with the Immigration and Naturalization Service. These ceremonies are held at various venues.

Who can petition for an alien relative to receive a green card?
U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents of the U.S. can petition to bring relatives to America. The citizen or permanent resident must be the one to initiate the process. If you would like legal help with this process, be sure to contact Jamie Gorton.

Who is considered a family relative for immigration purposes?
The following people count as immediate relatives:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Children of U.S. citizens who are unmarried and under 21 years of age
  • Parents of U.S. citizens who are over 21 years old

What is a Visa?
A Visa acts like your admission ticket to the United States. A Visa is placed in your passport at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the U.S. An F-1 Visa is needed to enter the U.S. in F-1 status. Similarly, a J-1 Visa is required for J-1 status. Want to find out how you can obtain a visa? Contact Attorney Jamie Gorton for counsel.

What type of Visa should I get if I would like to become a permanent U.S. citizen?
There are several types of visas you can apply for, depending on your situation. A fiancée visa is available to foreign nationals who are engaged to a U.S. citizen. If you have a relative working in the U.S. and wish to immigrate, you can apply for a family visa. Work visas are granted to those with unique skills demanded by a certain industry.

What if I want to come to the U.S. for a visit or temporary stay?
Non-immigrant visas are needed for temporary stays. If you are coming for education, you can get a student visa. There are also business investor and travel visas available. These type of visas will allow you to stay in the U.S. for only a limited time.

How long will my green card remain valid?
With a green card, you can be a permanent resident who both lives and work in the U.S. When a green card is first issued, it is only temporary and good for two years. If you are not convicted of a crime in these two years, you can apply for a permanent resident visa, which is good for ten years.

Helped Countless Individuals Stay in America

Attorney Jamie Gorton has the experience needed to walk you through the immigration process. With his dedication, compassion and aggressive tactics, he is determined to fight for what is best for you and your family. He has helped individuals avoid deportation, dismissed criminal cases and provided positives solutions to numerous other immigration cases.

Call our Malden immigration firm today or fill out our case evaluation form!