Work Authorization

Work Authorization Attorneys in Malden, MA

Serving Everett, North Boston, Medford & Surrounding Areas

If you are not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident but want to work in the United States, you will need to apply for work authorization through USCIS. An employment authorization document (EAD), also referred to as a work permit, will show that you can legally work in the U.S.

If you want to find out if you are eligible for employment in the United States, an attorney can help you explore your options and guide you through the application process. With our experience handling employment and family-based immigration matters for clients across Massachusetts, our team at The Law Offices of Jamie H. Gorton is standing by to assist you.

To learn more, call (978) 539-7008 or fill out our online case evaluation form.

Am I Eligible to Work in the U.S.?

Citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) are automatically authorized to work in the United States. Certain nonimmigrant visa holders will also be permitted to work in the U.S. for a certain employer, as indicated on their Form I-94 Arrival-Departure record.

If you do not fit in one of the above categories, you will need to request employment authorization. If this is approved, USCIS will send you a card indicating you have permission to work in the U.S.

You may need to apply for work authorization if:

  • You are a refugee or asylee but need evidence that you are authorized to work in the U.S.;
  • Your application for a green card (permanent resident status) is pending;
  • Your asylum application is pending; or
  • You have a nonimmigrant status that allows you to be in the U.S. but does not specifically allow for you to work in the U.S. without authorization.

As a student, fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, or other nonimmigrant, you will need to apply for work authorization from USCIS before you can work in the U.S.

What Form Do I Need to File to Apply for an Employment Authorization Document?

An employment authorization document (EAD) is a type of ID card that you will need to show to your employer as proof that you are legally allowed to work in the United States. To apply for your EAD, you will need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

You can file Form I-765 online or you can send your application in by mail. If you apply online, you will still need to mail in supporting documentation.

Employment Authorization Help in Malden, MA & Beyond

At The Law Offices of Jamie H. Gorton, we are here to help nonimmigrants apply for work authorization so they can fulfill their goal of living and working in the U.S. Whether you are here temporarily or want to eventually obtain permanent residency and even citizenship, we can help you get on the path to reach your ambitions.

Call (978) 539-7008 today to learn how our Malden employment authorization lawyers can help you.

Why Families Trust

The Law Offices of Jamie H. Gorton
  • Provide Individualized Legal Solutions
  • Exceptional Track Record of Success
  • Extensive Experience in Immigration Law
  • Service Throughout Massachusetts

Begin Your Journey

Schedule a Consultation Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.